Prototype Kit Test – Day Three (Part III)

Adios 80s style doors! Hello open cabinets!

Huh….guess I must be on a roll here. Either that, or I should rethink about adding Ovaltine to my morning mocha. And having three cups of said brew.

The base cabinets are all set and installed in the kitchen. Now all I have left are the upper cabinets.

As you can see in the photo, I had a pair of narrow wall cabinets that are the same width as the base cabinets. I like the shape and color, but wasn’t too thrilled about the design on the door. If it has been more of a Shaker style, it would have worked great with my IKEA theme kitchen. Granted, I could have just build the doors myself, but found out quickly I didn’t have enough wood strips to build a pair (talk about a first — I usually have tons from Michaels and what not!). So with great resignation…I just ripped them out (but saved the brass pin hinges for future projects. Shesh, am such a packrat!).

The upper cabinets and wood strip glued and held in place by other wall cabinets.

Once the doors were removed (and the cabinets light sanded), I took the remaining scraps of the wood strip I used for my countertops and cut a strip with the same depth as the upper cabinets but as long as the total length of the base cabinets & the stove. After sanding that strip down and painting it white, I glued said strip to the tops of the cabinets, keeping the edges flush (the T ruler definitely helped with that task. Along with a dab of Quick Grip of course).

When it came to installing the wall cabinets to the actual room…I knew I needed something to keep the cabinets not just level with the top of the stove, but also provide an even clearance between the countertop and the bottom of the wall cabinet.  BK suggested that I use some spare wall cabinets I had in my stockpile and use them to hold the ones up while the glue dried. Pretty simple idea huh?

While the QuickGrip dried, decided to kill time by going ahead and shingling the roof (which went by pretty fast — especially if you have a bag of already dyed shingles you got from a fellow mini-blogger). Am pretty awful at applying shingles, so I tend to rely on alot of online tutorials  such as this one.  Though I might try this particular tutorial next, depending on what kit/house I’ll be tackling next.

Left: using the guides I penciled in to apply the shingles. Middle: the finished product. Right: side view of the roof. Had to trim any excess pieces that were sticking out over the ridge and the sides.

When I got to the top of the shingles, I used the remaining pieces and applied them perpendicular to create the illusion of a ridge. Not all the pieces were of the same size, so I had to use a craft knife to carefully slice off any excess that were sticking beyond the edge. Not too bad — though I made the mistake of making the first row stick out too much from the bottom ridge! Hopefully no one will notice that!

So all in all, did really good: in one day, the stove was decorated, the upper and lower cabinets were done, and the roofing’s complete. Excellent!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s