Prototype Kit Test – Day Four

My apologies — I initially began writing a draft version around Jan 21st. Don’t have an idea how most folks handle writing blogs, but if I’m working on my minis, I tend to physically write down the progress in either one (of many) notebooks scattered in my work area. Or lately, whatever scrap piece of paper I could get my hands on. Idea was to eventually go through the writings, flesh them out, then put the final “prettified” text online.  It’s probably archaic, but at least it keeps me on track on what has to be done. 😛

As you recall from day three, the stove, cabinets and roof were completed. I wanted to wait for the glue to dry completely on the roof before I began on the next step: finishing the exterior.  Have to say, am pretty happy that Monsieur M designed the kit to have two sides for its exterior walls.  That simply meant that whatever I chose, it should go fast. At least in the relative sense.

Had initially thought of the Versi brick slips used in my wedding cardbox. But when I looked at my bin o’crap, realized I didn’t have enough (^@#!!). On the other hand, I did find my huge role of upholstery tacking strips – my usual go to for siding.  Since it’s cardboard, installing it was a complete breeze: just measure the strips, cut them to size, and glue them on the exterior wall with some wood glue.  Of course, since the strips had to simulate lap siding, I used a strip of  5/16″ strip of wood to act as my guide (to make the spacing between the overlaps somewhat even). Overall, it took me about an hour to apply siding on the two walls.

Once the strips were installed and the glue was dry, paint was applied. I tend to buy the samples of Behr™ paint at my local HomeDepot, but alot of them I had to dispose or ended up using them for other projects.  Ended up going for the sample of Behr™ ‘s Sandstone Cove (730C-2). As you can see in this fuzzy photo, I had to put a couple of layers since the tack strips were cardboard and soaked up the paint. I let it dry for a few hours, then sanded the strips lightly to remove any fuzzy edges before painting two more layers.  Again, had to let it dry — which I spent the time prepping and painting the windows and trim. Figured if I can at least finish the exterior, then I’m close to completing this kit. Plus it meant using stuff in my bins to make more space in the future. 😀

After everything was dried, I installed the exterior corner trim, the (only) window for the kit and the window’s interior trim. The first two worked out fine – I had painted the corner trim and window a traditional white color, but at the last minute decide to purposely scuff them with sandpaper — oddly, got the feeling the outside should go for something rustic. At least somewhat.

Argh! My kryptonite!

As for the window’s interior trim….I dunno what I did wrong. The trim came with the window, and even though all I did to the pieces was sand and paint them….when it came to installing them, it didn’t look right. I tend to prefer window trims to cover the inserts…but this simply framed it. Of course, dumbass me used an adhesive other than tacky glue…and the darn pieces were already setting in place.  Might have to make some curtains to hide it….but will see.  Am getting so close to the finish line!

Advertisements

A Pleasant Surprise

Now that the wedding is done, and BK & I are enjoying the wedding photos from our photographer (thanks Sarah!), I uploaded some images on the OffBeat Bride group pool on Flickr.  Figured since so many of its participants inspired BK and I to follow on our own beat when it came to our wedding, figured I’d return the favor and hopefully share the pride in the stuff we did.

Among the items I posted were pics of our wedding centerpiece and an arbor kit I built to decorate the foyer of our venue.  Little did I realize that I’d get an email from OffBeatBride.com telling me that these same photos were being posted at their weekly Monday Montage:

http://offbeatbride.com/2012/01/diy-std-montage

Thank you OffBeatBride for this awesome honor! At the same time, I hope I did my fellow miniature fans proud! 😀