Okay, as promised, I’ll do my best to explain what I did to install light into the CC. Since the CC is a front opening kit, I could risk having the
electrical hot mess wires and the battery residing in the back. So it now it boiled to figuring how to use the LED bulbs to light up the rooms. Then I thought: why not use the LED bulbs and make recessed lights?
Using a ruler and pencil, I took each floor of the CC and marked where I wanted the recessed lights to be placed. Then I took the pieces outside and used BK’s power drill to drill holes in the areas I marked. Because the floor/ceiling of the CC were made of MDF, I initially used a 1/4″ drill bit just so I can create the holes. I was a little worried that if I went for a bigger bit, I might rip the floor apart — or worse, break it completely.
Once the holes were drilled, I used a box cutter and cut some grooves to direct the wires to the back wall of the CC kit. From there I marked the back wall and drilled holes so that wires can go through the back. Wish I could say the whole carving the grooves was easy…but man, cutting MDF is such a pain!
After the grooves were completed, I had to figure out how to replicate the trim that you see in most recessed lights. Had initially thought I’d have to make a trip to Lowes and maybe use flat metal washers. But a quick rummage in my craft drawer provided me with a better alternative.
I must have bought these grommets awhile back for a long-forgotten scrapbooking project. Good thing I didn’t put these in the recycling bin — the center is big enough to house the LED bulb (which is about 5 mm wide), and the white flat ring looks exactly like the trim you see in recessed lighting.
So I took the drill, switched the bit to a 5/8″ size, and redrilled the holes so that they’d be big enough for me to slide the grommets into place. The bit turned out to be slightly bigger than the shaft in the grommet, but a thick smear of Tacky Glue seemed to do the trick and secure them in place.
Once the grommets were secured (and the LED bulbs slipped into place), it was time to start attaching the wires to their respective battery clips. (see video on how it’s done). Each floor had between 7-8 lights, so I divided them between two battery clips. Hence, the whole CC called for six 9V batteries to power them. According to the kit, the each battery should provide up to 50 hrs of power to the lights. But since I’m not planning to leave the lights on….we should be okay. Besides, I got the batteries at my local Dollar Tree so if I need to replace them…well, I can easily get more.
I had thought of taking photos of how the wires look behind the CC…but then thought otherwise. It’s pretty messy and cluttered. And given it’s my first time using LED lights, I’ll need to practice some more before I start snapping photos. The most important thing though — is that wiring worked, and my house now has lights.
Am pretty pleased with myself. Though again, I need alot of practice to get this right.