This is Going to Hurt…

Remember this?

Amazing how quickly the weekend flew by. Saturday was spent dealing with errands and other personal matters (and posting entries pretty late that evening). Sunday was a bit chilly, so BK and I opted to stay inside and work on our respective projects — writing a novel for him, me hunkering in the dining room/craft zone to work on the CC.

At this point, I was able to remove the painter’s tape that helped secure the foam walls in place. The inner part of the panel still remained flush much to my relief — was worried I’m have to sand the cellfoam a bit. Once the tapes were removed, I screwed the front panel back on the CC so I can start figuring out the exterior.

If you remember from the last CC entry, the photo I found online gave me some ideas on how the decorate the kit. Now that the large windows were now applied — it was time to figure out the masonry. I liked how the photo showed the row house as having two types of stone to create an interesting contrast. Figured I should do the same for the CC – besides, if you take a closer look, you will notice that I’m using two different style of windows. I need to somehow make them look like they belong together.

Windows-9

Figured the easiest would be to put some kind of molding — a dentil trim of sorts — under the second floor window. Almost like a boundary of sorts.

Dry-fitting the trim

I actually found this trim in the lumber section at my local Home Depot. Close up, it looks like the fancy trim you see outside of townhomes and row houses. And being about 11/16″ in height, it’s big enough to make a statement on its own. Plus, for $1.69 for a 4′ length of trim, that’s a steal. Though I think I might need a second one to use around the roof part of the CC.

A closer look of the dentil trim. Think I'll need to explore the trim section at Home Depot a bit more next time I'm there.

A closer look of the dentil trim. Think I’ll need to explore the trim section at Home Depot a bit more next time I’m there.

Another close up of the trim on the CC.

Another close up of the trim on the CC.

Satisfied with how this looks, I marked where the trim would be installed on the front panel — and again on the sides. To make sure that these areas won’t get covered in paint or something, I cut up strips of painters tape and applied them. Again, I want to make sure that when I get to the part where I’m to glue the trim…it’s getting attached directly to the panels.

Taped off the areas where the trim will later be installed.

Taped off the areas where the trim will later be installed. The areas marked in painter’s tape indicate where the dentil trim will be attached.

So the easy part is done. Now comes the second part. And for me, this is going to be an absolute doozy.

Because I want to apply some kind of stone/brick effect on the CC, that means either I buy some versi-brick ands tone slips and install them. Or opt to make the bricks and stone using egg cartons. The first option would be easier, but because we all know I can be such a cheap-ass bastard at the most inopportune times….I’m going to make it even more complicated by going for the egg carton route. And yes, for starters, I do have some egg cartons.

My implements of war on this stage of the project.

My implements of war on this stage of the project.

For the bricks and stones, I really only need the lid part of these cartons. So with a pair of scissors (and an ear bud plugged to my playlist), I separated the lids from the cartons (which I stored away for future use). That probably took 5-10 minutes. So far so good I guess.

Yeah, this part isn't difficult. But the painful part is coming 'round the corner...

Yeah, this part isn’t difficult. But the painful part is coming ’round the corner…

Now that I have about 18 lids, I utilized an entry on otterine.com where Brae explained how she created her brick slips using egg cartons. According to her instructions, she broke down each carton lid into several rectangular segments. And each segment in turn, she cut into 1/4″ high strips. And then each of those strips, she measured and cut rectangular strips that were 3/4″ in length.  She then repeated the above steps to create 1/4″ x 1″ long strips to use for corners.

That doesn’t sound bad right? It honestly doesn’t if you’re planning to only do this on…maybe up to 4 lids. But the fact I’m going to be making not just bricks, but stones (which I”ll need to figure out what size that should be compared to brick) is a bit daunting. And add on top of that….my 18 lids might not be enough at all. Especially if I’m planning to cover all three sides of the CC.

*sigh* Guess I’m going to have a couple of long nights for the next couple of days. And probably start looking online to see where I can get more egg cartons fast. D’oh!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s